Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Robitussin Cough Syrup and Yohimbe: A Deadly Combination! (My experience with Serotonin Syndrome.)

Robitussin Max Stregnth, a cough syrup containing the dissociative(1) drug Dextromethorphan(DXM), a popular legal high in the US, especially among younger people. I'll be writing more on DXM use on a later date, this blog is about the time I combined a Yohimbe(2) bark supplement (an antagonist(3) at many serotonin(4) receptors(5)) with DXM, a potent serotonin re-uptake inhibitor(6). You see, the antagonist blocks the serotonin receptors from recieving serotonin, thus leaving more in the brain. Although DXM does many things, it's serotonin reuptake inhibitory properties (which also increase serotonin levels) are the toxicity concern here. Having far too much serotonin in the brain causes Serotonin syndrome, which can very easily kill you if it's moderate to severe. I only had a mild case, and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

Last year around this time, I had taken a 400mg dose of Dextromethorphan at about 3:00 in the morning. Later on when the trip started to wear off and I felt tired(about 4 hours later), I took a yohimbe supplement to boost my energy a bit. About a half an hour after taking the yohimbe, I start to feel off. It was August and very hot inside my house, but all of a sudden I was freezing and drenched in sweat. My legs and arms began shaking violently and my stomach started feeling like it was about to explode, making very loud noises.

Then the anxiety hit, and my blood pressure, body temperature, and heart rate soared. My heart was going at 180 BPM and I thought I was having a heart attack. I proceeded to chew on some aspirin and, stupidly, not call an ambulance. I was walking around outside in 95 degree heat, yet I was freezing and covered in so much sweat it looked like I had just been pushed in to a pool. Then, explosive, painful diarrhea came. This all continued for about three hours before beginning to die down. I later look up my symptoms and find out it was most likely Serotonin Syndrome and that combo of drugs could have killed me.

Don't mix DXM with any other drugs that effect serotonin, including all stimulants, MDMA, almost all antidepressants, all psychedelics except Cannabis, and migraine medications. You may not end up as lucky as I. If you suspect serotonin syndrome, get your ass to a hospital ASAP and tell them it's Serotonin Syndrome most likely, most doctors still don't know it exists, but it is very real and deadly if left untreated. Severe cases will generally render you unable to call for help, as you won't be able to walk or talk and you'll be hallucinating like you're on a bad acid trip.

Footnotes:


  1. Dissociative - A type of drug that causes a feeling of disconnection from the body, more will be explained in another blog.
  2. Yohimbe - An herbal supplement for energy and erectile dysfunction.
  3. Antagonist - Similar to an agonist, only instead of occupying the receptor AND activating it, it simply blocks it from being activated by it's respective neurotransmitter.
  4. Serotonin - Neurotransmitter involved in empathy, social desire, romantic love, GI functions, body temperature regulation, psychedelic hallucinations, and psychotic episodes. Has many unknown functions as well.
  5. Receptor - Chemical that performs a bodily function or mental function when activated by it's respective neurotransmitter or ingested chemical.
  6. Reuptake Inhibitor - Chemical that slows the re-uptake of a neurotransmitter, thus increasing it's levels in the brain.


PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!

No comments:

Post a Comment